Friday, July 23, 2010

Getting to Ghana

I'm finally here, in Ghana. It only took about twice as long as it was supposed to, and several very funny (although not funny at the times) things happened along the way.

We took off from Tampa at 9:50 Thursday morning to depart for JFK. So far, so good. We flew JetBlue up there because of the cost, and when we arrived in NYC we had to claim our bags and check into Delta. Problem number one. Apparently, you have to have your credit card with which you paid for international flights. Not good, as I didn't bring it. So, we waited in about three lines before finally having to repurchase the ticket on a credit card we were in possession of and then checking in that way. Okay...crisis averted. I could only see myself standing there waving off my plane.

We make it to the gate with plenty of time to spare, board, and I even get a seat change to a better seat. Awesome! Then, they tell us they have to find the bags of someone who didn't get onto the plane. No big deal, we had head a girl talking to something at the ticket counter because she didn't have a visa (some travel agent screwed her over big time). Then, suddenly, power fails. They said it was auxiliary power and that we didn't need it unless there was an emergency, but it's better to be safe than sorry. It won't be long, they said. Right. After an hour they gave us $12 in vouchers and told us to get off the plane and come back at 8 (which later turned into 10). When we got on the flight, they had a new crew and not everyone was there, so we had to wait again. We finally took off around 11 (original departure 4:30).

We landed in Ghana, got to the hotel, and everyone proceeded to get out of the bus....except me. My seat belt was stuck. I had to squeeze out of it to get into the hotel. When I got into my room, there was standing water in the bathroom and I had to be moved. What?!

I ate a little, rested a little, and then we went to go meet Nana Sarpong. He's the subchief of the Ashanti Region, so that was wonderful. We had a clock made for him signifying our partnership between the school I teach and the two schools in the village of Agogo in the northern Ashanti region. We stayed for a bit and then went an ate dinner.

I'm looking forward to eating Yogo, fufu, and redred. Tomorrow we're going to the game preserve and the craft market. Yay! I can't wait to be touristy...I didn't really get to do that when I was here in 2005. PS. I'm staying in a hotel with wireless internet, which I also didn't get to do in 2005 (seeing as how the village I lived in then didn't have electricity or running water).

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update after Sunday, as we're headed up to a village about three hours north of the city and don't know accessibility yet.

Bye for now!


Erin said...

Oh my goodness Meg, I can't believe you made it back. I'm so jeaalous slash excited for you. PS I hope you don't mind that I'm stalking you now. I swear not in a creepy way.


Kacey said...

So glad you got there safely! Take lots of pictures and enjoy. Love you!

Ms. Gadsden said...

Wow .. what a rough start. Seriously Lil' W .. stuck in your seatbelt. What an entrance! Have fun .. keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

[url=]cialis 20 mg[/url] - generic cialis , cialis 40 mg

Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)